Sunday, December 18, 2016

August 15th, 2016

August 15 3016
Wassssuppppp Family!?

Not going to lie, this was a really rough week for my companion and I. Everything seemed to be going against us, so I don't have too many things to tell you. However, it was a learning week, and I feel more confident and excited for the work this week! Funny how things like that just make you more and more willing, dedicated, diligent, need I go on? :)

The highlight of the week was probably Half Mission P-Day. All the missionaries on the West side of the mission gathered to together in Grand Rapids at a huge park and played games all day long. The weather was hot and humid, but President Jacobson set up water games, so it wasn't too uncomfortable. My favorite game we played was probably the water kickball. We had kiddie pools as the bases and slip and slides as the base paths. A bunch of us sisters just ended up sitting in the kiddie pools. Thats the closest I have been to swimming in 14 months. Felt soooooo nice. It really is neat to see so many missionaries gathered together for one purpose. I got to know a lot of the newer missionaries, which there seem to be more and more of. Looking at the missionaries in the mission now I see less and less familiar faces. 

Another highlight of the week was meeting with Lydia. She is making so much progress! We met with her on Wednesday and she was so excited to see us. During our lesson she told us that she has been thinking a lot about baptism and is wanting to be baptized when she is ready. Our goal this week is to put her on a solid date. Pray for us! It's going to be such a big step for her and Taylor. If you asked me though, I would just prefer it if she dropped Taylor...He is having the hardest time getting back into the swing of the gospel and she is always telling us how he is holding her back. She doesn't feel like she can fully progress until he is progressing. Any ideas on how to help a less active 24 yr old young men come back to church?.... Me neither, but if you come up with any PLEASE let me know!

I had overwhelming feelings of frustration this week, because I felt like my faith was lacking. The ZL's knew that something was up so they sat Sister Robertson and I down and started talking about things. For some reason our investigators keep dropping us, and nobody seems to be interested in meeting with us. It's the end of the summer semester here on campus. Students are either busy moving out or moving in and getting jobs, taking exams, etc. The Elder I was talking to told me that I should try focusing on gratitude more. When you focus on the small and simple things that the Lord has blessed you with, it helps you realize the blessings of having faith in him. I took his advice and right after we talked with them we went into a private area and said a companionship prayer completely full of gratitude. The comforting feeling I felt afterwards was indescribable. Even in the lowest of lows, all that the Savior has done for each and every single one of us is incredible. On Sunday, one of the students in the Branch spoke on Faith, and his main point was to have faith in Christ, not in the outcomes. I reflected back on how my faith was the last couple of days and realized that that was exactly what I had been doing. This is what I learned.  My faith is not founded in the people I find. My faith is founded in Christ. As long as I know that he is my Savior, that he set the perfect example for me, and that he carried out the infinite atonement, my faith will never falter. It doesn't matter what people say to me, or what students ignore me or how they make me feel stupid. Jesus is the Christ and I fully believe in him, and that is where my faith is based. The outcomes come AFTER and only AFTER you have faith in Him. 

Thank you all for the prayers and support. Enjoy watching the Olympics, it is KILLING ME not being able to know what is happening in Rio. The adventures seem fun, save some for when I get home. LOVE YOU, and go America!!!

Sister Viehweg






No comments:

Post a Comment