Tuesday, May 10, 2016

January 18th, 2016

I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY.. and I love hearing from all of you each week. Thank you Thank you Thank you. The little email updates mean so much to me!
This week was one for the books! I don't even know where to begin, so I guess I will just start with the temple. Friday morning the Campbells came and picked up sister Sheppard and I at 6:30am to get to the 10:00am session in Detroit. I can't believe how badly I took advantage of having a temple so close to me for 19 years of my life. We are so Blessed in the West. Anyways, about half way through our drive a portion of the freeway we were traveling on was shut down. So we had to take a major detour which put us back an entire hour. The Campbells haven't been to the temple in 7 years and they were already nervous enough to go to the session, and now we were late!  We got to the tiny temple as quickly as we could, but the Detroit Temple is always on a very tight schedule because it is so small and people have to make reservations, so the session didn't wait for us. However, they had room for us to go do sealings, something none of us had ever done before.  So we all piled into the sealing room and it was SO NEAT!  Missionaries aren't allowed to act proxy for marriage, but we could be proxies for children.  The Campbells loved it as well. Sister Campbell was saying afterwards that that was just what she needed because she couldn't remember a single thing about being sealed on her wedding day. God always knows what we are needing.
  
After the temple we headed back, and when we arrived home I was feeling pretty sick. Turns out I had a pretty high fever with random cold chills. The Elders were in the area and Sister Sheppard called them and told them to come give me a blessing (totally against my will).  I think she was a little nervous because she is still new and doesn't know what to do when companions get sick, but nonetheless, the blessing was nice and I had my first real good night's rest in a really long time that night.
Saturday was all prep for Alajuwan's Baptism!  The font in the Bay City church is old and takes forever to fill so the majority of our day was Sister Shepps and I at the church filling the font and setting up the chapel and RS room for the event. An hour before the Baptism is supposed to start we received a call from Kathy, who proceeds to tell us that Alajuwan has been missing for the past 5 hours and she has no clue where he is.  So for the next 40 minutes Sister Sheppard and I start running around like mad women calling anyone and everyone we know to go out and look for Alajuwan. It is our week for car rotation so we were stuck at the church.  We had a good chunk of the ward out searching for him on the streets, but no one was having any luck. You can imagine my stress level as my bishop, 1st counselor, zone leaders and district missionaries all start to show up. WHERE THE HECK IS ALAJUWAN!!???  I was praying so hard that by some miracle he would show up.  By now it's 6:15 (baptism was supposed to be at 6:00) and I finally get a call from Kathy saying that Alajuwan just showed up, but she doesn't have a car... of course she didn't have a car!  So I asked Paul (our recent convert) to go pick them up.  Good ol Paul, always coming in Clutch!!   Kathy and Alajuwan finally get to the church, we take pictures, get him dressed, and start the program.  After he finally showed up, the baptism went pretty smoothly and Sunday he was able to receive the Holy Ghost. I'm glad it all worked out, but I for sure lost some hair and a couple of years of my life due to the stress that took place :)
The temperatures are always in the negatives now, because of the windchill coming in from Saginaw Bay. Bitter cold is the only way I can describe it. I'm grateful that I have experience in cold weather. Every time I think that my feet are getting frostbite I think back to skiing and how cold I would get up on Bogus Basin, but also how long we would stay out skiing. Dad you raised me right. THANK YOU!!
I am loving where I am at, I love the gospel, again I love being a missionary, I am praying daily for all of you.  Transfer calls are this week, so if you are sending anything (no one ever sends anything hint hint) hold off for a week until we find out what's happening.
Much LOVE
Sister Viehweg
Aljuwan baptism

With Sister Sherpard

At the Detroit temple

No comments:

Post a Comment