Monday, January 11, 2016

January 10th, 2016

Hello Friends and Family!
To start things off yesterday we got hit so hard with a snow storm that church was canceled! Sister Sheppard and I woke up to the storm and went to bed with the same storm still coming down. We got our call that church was canceled around 8:30 leaving the rest of our studies to call investigators, members, and less-actives telling them the news. After all that was done, we re-planned our day. I never thought I would have to come up with a back up plan for going to church, but, lesson learned. I was kinda thinking that maybe since our meeting was canceled our zone leaders would call and tell us that proselyting needed to be postponed for a couple of hours, but guess what? They didn't. So sister Sheppard and I put on a ridiculous amount of layers and headed out to door-knock and it was Coooollllld. I finally understand the true meaning of "windchill."  Poor sister Sheppard has never seen so much snow. When she came out of our room I couldn't help but laugh at her. She looked like she belonged in the movie "A Christmas Story."  She could hardly move under all her layers.  Unfortunately, when storms hit, people like to stay inside their homes and not open the door to anyone...weird. So it was a long couple of hours of no one answering, and the people that did answer would just tell us how crazy we were to be out in that weather and shut the door. At one point I was freezing my buns off so I made sister Sheppard "sprint proselyte."  Something I made up (but told her it was a real thing), it's when you sprint from house to house to get more doors in :)  Or in other words, so that Sister Viehweg can stay warm, because she doesn't have two snow coats to wear.
Other than yesterday our week went pretty smoothly. I am still trying to get adjusted to Sister Chatman leaving us. It has left room for a lot of growth for the both of us. I very easily get stressed hoping that Sister Sheppard is getting the right impression of what missionary work is supposed to be like.  We had our first Trade Off on Thursday and I feel like that was the ultimate test. We will see if I get a call from president Jacobsen or not. :)  For trade offs I went to Midland with Sister Foster ( the sister who got hit by the car). Midland is always such a culture shock. So much classier than Bay City and tons of Mormons live there because they all work for DOW. DOW hires a lot of BYU graduates. I had fun in Midland, but Trade Offs always make me so grateful for my own area.
Jessica Cantu started tackling her smoking addiction this weekend and is doing awesome. She hasn't had a cig in over 48 hours. The church actually came out with this really awesome program that guarantees anyone can be a non smoker in 7 days. I feel like this is a "make it or break it" situation for Jessica, so keep her in your prayers!
Alajuwan is scheduled to be baptized this Saturday. His mom has kind of been difficult to work with, so again pray that we can get everything figured out so that he can be baptized Saturday and Confirmed Sunday. He is so excited and just the cutest boy in the world. He passed his Baptism interview with flying colors (proud missionary moment).
We picked up the Becceril family this past week as well. Sal, the husband, just got out of prison and is really trying to change his life around. Angela, the wife and the four daughters have previously had contact with sister missionaries, but Angela told us they didn't understand them as well as they understand us. I am really excited to fully begin teaching this family and to see where the gospel takes them.
On Friday Sister Sheppard and I get to go to the Detroit temple with a family that I have been working with ever since I got here. The Campbell's have made so many amazing changes in their lives. Their youngest daughter, Lily, was baptized back in December, and now Ryan and Kristin are headed to the temple. I will follow up more on that next week.
The Church is SO true and I am so grateful each and every day for the opportunities I get to teach people all about it.
Love you all!
Sister Viehweg
Bay City Missionairies

Other things are on my mind!



No comments:

Post a Comment