Monday, January 11, 2016

December 6th, 2015

This week was definitely started off right with the Christmas devotional yesterday. In Midland ( a city 25 min away) they put on this huge production called The Nativity. Every year the church building receives over 700 nativity sets to set up all around the Midland church, all open for display to the public. The display goes Friday - Sunday Evening and ends with the Christmas devotional. Our zone leaders said we were allowed to go if we had an investigator, so sister Chatman and I asked one of our favorites, Jessica Cantu, to go with us. The night was really special and Jessica Loved the messages from our leaders. Also soooo many nativity sets I couldn't take it all in! 

As usual, I can hardly remember what I did this week. Every day seems like a blur, but I have a neat experience I can share.

Tuesday, we received a referral from our recent convert, Paul, to go visit one of his ex-girlfriends. Easy peasy right? Wrong, the catch was that she was deaf. I don't even remember telling Paul that I took sign language in high school, but he remembered and told us to go visit. I felt really nervous about going and talking to her, but sister Chatman really wanted to go so we headed out to her house. Before we got out of our car we said a quick prayer and sister Chatman prayed that I would be able to remember everything that I had learned from my high school classes, and be able to use the gift of "tongues" "hands" for the hour. I was shaking so badly as we knocked on her door, kind of hoping she wouldn't answer. We usually knock twice, once for their salvation once for our own. After knocking twice with no answer I turned to leave, but sister Chatman opened the screen door a third time and pounded on the door like we were the police. A couple seconds later a sweet lady answered the door and sister Chatman tried to talk to her, I recognized instantly what she said to her with her hands, "Sorry I am hard of hearing." At that point I stepped up to the door and started communicating back and forth with her through sign language. In school we don't learn the religious signs, but at that moment I could remember and properly use all the signs I needed to talk with Jodee for about 20 minutes. I am so grateful I had the privilege of being in the same ward as the Walkers growing up, because I definitely think watching Carolee sign to Devin all those years helped me be able to use the signs needed to help Jodee understand our purpose as missionaries. Although, Jodee wasn't interested in having us come back, I could see the spirit touch her as I communicated with her about Christ and the upcoming Christmas season. I invited her to watch the new Christmas message that came out and we were off. It is moments like this that make me soooo incredibly grateful for the calling that I have right now.

What the heck my computer time is up!?!? Hahaha, sorry this letter is shorter, more will come next week! 
Michigan is having the warmest winter they have had in a long time. Still no snow and still nothing below 35 during the day, Im starting to think that the people of Michigan are all a bunch of babies when it comes to the cold!
Deb, im glad you are healthy again, stay away from the bugs!!
Dad, I am headed to Frankenmuth Today and will be sure to take pictures OUT of the car this time!
Family, friends I LOVE YOU ALL and want you all to know that I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I love this Gospel, I love this season, and I love the Savior!

Sister Viehweg

No comments:

Post a Comment