Tuesday, May 10, 2016

February 16th, 2016



Hey hey Fam bam, it has been quite the week! 
Tuesday morning Sister Shepps and I woke up to a blizzard!  Hello again winter. When we left the apartment there was a couple of feet of snow and it was still coming down hard. And what do you do when you get a blizzard? You go out door knocking!  I still can't help but laugh at poor sister Shepps who just doesn't know a thing about the cold. I have to get her all dressed and bundled up every time we leave the apartment. Reminds me of when all my older siblings and you dad had to help me get all my ski gear on.  Hahaha, you all were so patient!  That afternoon we had a lunch appointment with a member. He works graveyard shift so on his way up to bed he asked us if we would be willing to shovel his driveway. Sister Sheppard, who has never even picked up a snow shovel in her life, quickly responded and said we would love to. When Brother Samyn left the room I looked at her and said "are you crazy!??  Do you know how long their driveway is?!?!"  She responded with "how hard could it be?" I just laughed to myself as we walked outside and began to shovel in our skirts and tights and down coats.  5 minutes into shoveling sister Sheppard looked at me and said, "when are we done?" I laughed and pointed at the end of the driveway.  This was no ordinary driveway. The Samyns have a HUGE driveway. I wish I would have asked how long it was, but to give you an estimate it took sister Sheppard and I almost 3 hours to shovel the driveway. And halfway through sister Sheppard had to lie down and take a break!  IT TOOK FOREVERRRRR.  When we finished we walked inside and our bodies felt like jello.  Just bending over to wash my hands was already hurting my back!  Throughout the rest of the day we were both beat. Everything we did caused our backs to hurt, even driving!  Haha, it was too funny!  At one point in the day Sister Sheppard leaned her car seat back and said, " I think I need a couple of days to recuperate."  I about died laughing at her!  She was absolutely pooped.  And it didn't' just last that day.  She has been exhausted ever since Tuesday and is still sore!
Tuesday was also what they call "Fat Tuesday" here in Michigan. It's the day before Ash Wednesday, so I guess everyone wants to stuff their faces and get "fat" on Tuesday.  Anyway, every Fat Tuesday all the stores are filled Paczci, pronounced Poonchkey, which are these huge donuts that are supposedly 800+ calories each. Everyone and their mom wanted to get the sisters a paczci to give us "the experience" and I HATE DONUTS!!!   BLLLAAAHHH, it was so gross.  We started telling everyone we were going to save them for later and when we got home that night ended up throwing them all away.  Sorry Bay City, I'm not much of a donut eater
This week at Pita's we finished all the painting in her kitchen so we joined the Elders in sanding and mudding her living room. This work is actually all pretty fun. Super messy, but really fun. When we left the house our skin and hair was completely coated in white from all the dust. Elder Hartley is the only one that has experience in building so he directs all of us and shows us what to do and we all follow. The house is coming along, but we still have a long ways to go.
Our investigator Katie, is still planning on getting baptized this Saturday, but extra prayers are needed her way because our stake president did not give her permission to attend our ward (because she lives out of the boundaries). So we are planning Katie's Baptism in a different building with a different ward and she is really nervous about it. I don't blame her, she isn't going to know anyone, but Katie has a super strong testimony of this gospel and we all have faith that it will work out.
I am the worst missionary ever....This week we ran out of toilet paper so Sister Shepps and I started stealing TP from everyone's houses we were at. Don't worry, we have since called everyone and told them that we took a roll or two. What can I say, we were desperate!
Other than that the weather has been FREEZING.  Literally. The past two days were well into the negatives plus windchill and we have been on foot all week. The weirdest feeling is when you can feel your tears freeze on your cheeks or when you can break some of your eyelashes off, but the work is worth it and God definitely blesses us with new people to teach when we are out walking in the bitter cold.
Have a great week and know that all is good in the hood of Bay City :)
PS: Thanks for all the valentines gifts! LOVE THEM ALL!

Posing with TP supply

Valentine Festivities

Winter Attire


No comments:

Post a Comment