Tuesday, May 10, 2016

February 29th, 2016

Heyyyoooo Family!!!

This week was all over the place. Time just keeps flying by!  I. Don't. Get. It.  The end of this transfer is coming too soon and I just want to know where I am headed next!  The suspense is killing me!  We have been spending a lot of time with members, because I am going to miss ALL OF THEM.  The people really are what make your mission so wonderful.

I'll start with Monday though!  Last P-Day we let the Elders be in charge of planning a group P-Day activity... big mistake.  They had us all meet in Sagnasty (Saginaw) on the East side, which is one of the highest crime rated cities in the US, to go "exploring."  Sister Sheppard and I were a little reluctant because, HELLO, we didn't want to get shot!  But we met everyone there and ended up finding this old abandoned race horse track that was really cool.  The whole time we were exploring it I kept thinking we were going to stumble upon dead bodies or sleeping hobos, but we didn't, no worries.  The elders did however play a not so funny joke and me and locked me in a pitch black room for about 5 minutes all by myself.  Stupid elders.  But it was good fun.  I will attach some photos of the old wreckage.  (She didn't......)

All day Tuesday while out door knocking, people at the doors kept warning us about the storm that was about to hit the next day, and sure enough Wednesday afternoon it began to snow.  At first it was light, but by 4:00 it was coming down pretty hard and that's when we got a call from our District leaders telling us that President Jacobson would like all of us to "park our cars," because it was a complete white out and the roads were too bad. I understood this order as, "Go back to your apartment, park your car, and get to work--on foot!!"  So sister Sheppard and I headed back and by this time there was a decent amount of snow on the ground.  We put on a ridiculous amount of layers and headed out walking to go door knocking.  The snow was coming down so hard we couldn't even see 10 ft in front of us!  IT WAS HORRIBLE!  We trudged in snow that was up to our knees for about 2 and a half hours before I finally called it quits and we took refuge in Pita's house.  When Pita saw is her mouth just dropped.  Sister Sheppard and I hadn't realized that our make up was completely smeared all down our faces!  No wonder no one wanted to talk to us...  At Pita's we taught her kids about faith and likened it to a seed, of course:) and then taught Pita all about the Great Apostasy.  I don't think I will ever get over how excited and eager her kids are to learn about God.  Anything they can get their hands on.  They all LOVE praying too.  It's so cute. 

That night we got a call from our district leader asking us what we did during the storm.  We told him we door knocked and he was completely shocked!  Apparently we were the only ones who did not stay inside during the storm.  The rest of the elders stayed in and cleaned or studied.  Bunch of sissies if you ask me :)

On Friday we went to this member's house who fed us legitimate weeds.... They were surprisingly really good.  She is what you would call a complete granola person.  After dinner she let us help her feed and brush her horses.  Elder Hartley and I were in heaven while the two city kids just sat back with their noses up.  Hahaha, too funny!  I don't think Sister Sheppard or Elder Nielson have ever had to get their hands dirty.  But, everyone is raised differently, I'm just so proud I was raised an Idahoan.

Sunday we had a lot of less actives and investigators make it to church.  It's really neat to see the fellowship that takes place throughout the 3 hours.  I know that when I leave everyone I have worked with is left in good hands.  Jessica is coming along and I think has about had it with her boyfriend. She keeps telling us she is going to kick him to the curb, so pray for a breakup because that is the only thing stopping her from baptism.

That's all I got for u's (total Michigan thing) love u's lots and have a great week!

Sister Viehweg





No comments:

Post a Comment