Tuesday, November 24, 2015

November 16th, 2015

Hello Friends and Family!!   Another good week out on the mission, tomorrow it's my 5 month mark...holy cow it's almost been half a year! Time is flying by, but also standing still. The weather here is really messing me up. I keep bracing myself for the cold, but it never comes. This past week was in the mid 60s and 50s. Seems like everywhere else is getting snow except for Michigan. One member told me yesterday at church that one year it was 72 degrees in Bay City on Christmas! I'm a little bummed. I WANT to see some SNOW! (Famous last words right?)
Sister Chatman and I have been busy busy busy. This week we met with Jessica Cantu and finally put her on baptism date! Jessica has been through so much. Every day we meet with her I am reminded of how lucky and blessed I am to have grown up in the gospel. Jessica is 30, has two kids and has been with her boyfriend, Mike, for 15 years. The only thing holding her back from being baptized in December is Mike--he won't marry her! Everyone here in Bay City does things backwards. No one is married. So that will be our biggest challenge with her, but we have some tricks up our sleeves to pull on Mike, so pray for us in that area!
We picked up another investigator named Tammy, who is in love with us. We had a really good first lesson with her and when we came back a couple days later she was already half way through Moroni 10!  We walked through her front door and immediately hit a wall of burning incense and cigarette smoke. My lungs are going to be so damaged after I get off this mission. I constantly smell like smoke. A couple of the young women yesterday asked me why my bag smelled like cigarettes. ITS NOT MY FAULT!   Anyways, Tammy's entire house had burning incense holders on every shelf. I kid you not the house was hazy looking. Most people here are pretty unsanitary when it comes to their homes, fleas, bed bugs, dust, garbage, cat litter everywhere, dirty dishes, etc., etc. Tammy's problem was fleas....one of my favorites.... We sat down at her table and her cat jumped up on my lap.  My first thought was to chuck the cat across the room, but I refrained and started petting it. Sister Chatman then kicked my leg under the table to get my attention. I looked down at the cat and I could literally see FLEAS CRAWLING ALL OVER THE CAT!  It took all my self control to not freak out.  I calmly pushed the cat off my lap and ended the lesson within the next 10 minutes. We walked out the door and I bolted down the street shaking off my skirt and hair and bag and throwing my coat off. I was SOOOOOO grossed out!  Why do people even have animals!??!
The Guistiniani's fed us again this week, Good Italian food as usual, one day they will stop talking long enough for us to get a spiritual lesson in...  A New Yorker/Italian is never a good mix if you want to get a word in edgewise... The relief society had a good crafts activity on Saturday, I am terrible at crafts so I did my best to enjoy it!  It was fun to hang around all the ladies in the ward, plus a couple of investigators showed up!  We got on the topic of whether or not Mormons can date more than one guy and, Uncle Kelly, I told everyone about how you used to tell me Neapolitan was the way to go with dating and everyone thought it was the funniest thing.  Don't worry I gave you full credit :)
I LOVE EVERYONE!  Have a fantastic week!
Love,
Sister Viehweg

No comments:

Post a Comment