Monday, September 7, 2015

August 31, 2015



Can't believe it's Monday again already.  The weeks are such a blur there is no difference between the days, they are all just one day combined.  Before I forget next Monday is Labor Day (happy early Labor Day) All the libraries will be closed Monday, so emailing will take place on Tuesday.

This week was another crazy one.  Our district got put on car rotation which means you get the car for 3 weeks and then have to give it up for another companionship to use it for 1 week.  It's really not that bad, but sister B was dreading it--the giving up of our car.  After being on foot since Wednesday I can kind of understand why she was dreading it.  Our area covers 4 cities, Bay City, Pinnconning, Freeland, and Essexville.  It's one of the biggest areas in the zone and I have never walked so much in my life.  We have been averaging about 15 miles per day and still have the rest of today up till Wednesday night on foot.  Yikes.  Being on foot all the time give you a lot of opportunities to talk with everyone you see though!  I'm still so uncomfortable and awkward walking up to people, but you don't really have a choice on a mission.  You have to constantly be out of your comfort zone.  I don't think I will ever get comfortable walking up to strangers and starting a complete random conversation with them.  I still remember my first time personal contacting with Breck Steele my first day in Michigan. She would basically run after people complimenting their shirt, shoes, hair, anything to get them to stop.  Funniest thing I have ever seen.  Breck is crazy.
   Yesterday  we had another really good turnout at church.  5 investigators and 5 less actives!  I still can't believe how much our work is progressing right now.  Our numbers are blowing the charts away. Last week our zone leaders called us and told us that the investigators alone in Bay City were making up more than half the investigators in the entire Zone!   They asked us "How the heck are you doing this?"  My response... "I have no idea, Elders..." 
We met another couple named Gerene and Bruce.  They are Evangelical Free something or other ? Some made up religion I swear.  They  invited us back so on Thursday we went to their house and had a lesson with them.  The lesson didn't go too hot and ended up with the wife, Gerene, just preaching to us about the Bible the whole time.  She was so intense it kinda scared me.  At the end of the lesson sister Brockbank said, "Can we schedule another meeting with you?"  Gerene looked so shocked and said that she had never had any Mormon missionaries schedule a return appointment with her.  I guess She has had lots of missionaries come to her house in the past and never return. Her whole demeanor changed after that.  She seemed so surprised we wanted to come back she invited us to stay for dinner!  People are so weird, you never know what you are going to get out of them.

This week we had a couple of funny things happen to us.  One night I was so in the mood to be active that I made Sister B speedwalk the entire way home while I ran along beside her.  We got the weirdest looks from all the cars passing us.  We also had a member bring us by some really, really ugly clothing.  She thought we might like them, sweet thought, but the clothes were HIDEOUS! Shoulder pads, dusty, smelled bad, holes--yuck (pics provided).  At dinner the other night we were talking about missions and then one of the elders changed the topic over to his brother being in Iraq and having guns, and his companion looked at him and said, "They give the guys guns in Iraq?"  We all looked at him like "Are you dumb?  Of course they do!" and he said, "For real, missionaries get guns in Iraq!??!"  Hahahahha pooor Elder Wharton thought we were still talking about missionaries. No No Elder, this is the military.   Haha he felt so dumb.  I also got invited into another old woman's home.  She thought I was her granddaughter...  Nope, but this lady let us stay so it was a success! 

I'm way over time! I love you all and am praying for you all!!!

Sister Viehweg

Donated Clothes

Donated Clothes

No comments:

Post a Comment