Monday, July 27, 2015

July 20th, Bay City

It's been another good week in Bay City. To start off the week we had this HUGE storm come through and knock all these trees down, which is kinda scary here because there are soooo many trees. The storm started in the middle of the night and woke me up around 2am, it was so loud I didn't fall asleep for the rest of the night. I'll post a picture of how big the branches were that fell out of the trees. Because of that storm it was so incredibly humid all week! I think I sweat 6 lbs off! We woke up one morning to work out at 6:30amand it was 88 degrees outside. It seriously felt like I had walked into a steam room. On Wednesday the Relief Society president had both the elders and the sisters over for dinner for their traditional food challenge. The challenge is to eat as many cinnamon rolls and bowls of chili as you can. The record is 4 bowls of chili and 7 cinnamon rolls (the rolls are as big as my hand all spread out) An elder by the name of Kinikini set that record and couldn't move the rest of the night. I didn't really feel up to the challenge so I just ate 3 cinnamon rolls, no bowls of chili. So healthy, but we had fasted that entire day and it was 7pm so I didn't really feel bad about it. We door knocked what they call Hell's Half Mile this week. Which was really sketchy. Hell's Half Mile is completely full of bars, but behind all the bars are houses so we were surrounded by a lot of out of control drunks who could hardly speak they were so intoxicated. At one of the houses a 10 year old answered and I asked him if his parents were home and he immediately said "We're not interested." So I said, "Do you know the message we have to share?" and he was like "What is it" and I said " It's all about our Savior Jesus Christ" and with that he said "We're not interested" and slammed the door right in my face. And I mean SLAMMED. It was the worst slammed door I have gotten yet and it was from a 10 YEAR OLD! Its so sad to me to see little kids acting like that when they hear a message about Jesus Christ. We had another Lady call the cops on us because she thought we were breaking and entering into her apartment, when really all we did was open the screen door and knock on her door. She kept claiming that she was handicapped and that we (two young sister missionaries) were trying to take advantage of her. The cops stayed behind and talked to us afterwards and apologized for the whole scene. 
This week really was amazing, Sister Brockbank and I have been praying for new investigators since I arrived and our prayers were definitely answered. We were able to pick up 5 new investigators in one week! That is completely unheard of in Bay City. 3 of the 5 committed to a baptism date during the first lesson. Sister Brockbank has been out 13 months and said that she has never met anyone so prepared as our investigators. The Lord really does answer prayers and sometimes I have to remind myself to be humble and ask specifically for help in the areas I am lacking in.
I love you all and pray for you all daily.

Love,

Sister Viehweg
After the storm

Door knocking on the competition

No comments:

Post a Comment